Side Effects of Chemotherapy
Written by : Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Chemotherapy, often shortened to just "chemo," is a systemic therapy which means that the drugs pass though the blood stream and affects the whole body. It affects both cancer cells as well as normal body cells. This can cause a number of side effects.
Immediate side effects
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Mouth soreness
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Lowered resistance to infections
- Easy bruising
Delayed side effects
- Heart problems like Congestive heart failure and Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat).
- Lung damage like inflammation of the pleura (pleuritis), loss of elasticity of the lung tissues and difficulty in breathing.
- Hormone issues like hot flashes, loss in libido, mood swings and premature menopause.
- Bone and joint problems like Osteoporosis and Joint pain.
Read More :